[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 12:53:26 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Sorin Srbu wrote:

>> Thats my thought as well.  Ubuntu desktop and CentOS for servers.
>> Just wandering if anyone is using the 'Ubuntu Server Edition's'?  They
>> seem appealing but CentOS is what I am used too on servers now.
>> Thought about loading it up on a box to just try though.
>
> Not using, but I've tried it in a LAMP-configuration couple of years ago.
> Stability seems ok, but personally I don't like the sudo this and sudo that
> and sudo everywhere. Besides, it felt somehow clunky. CentOS seemed slim,
> slick and fast compared at the time, so CentOS is what I got stuck with (in
> an endearing sense of course).

Server software has been fairly 'feature-complete' for a decade or so and
there's not a lot of point in using a rapidly changing distribution to run it.
If you did use Ubuntu, you'd want the LTS (long term support) version.  On the
other hand, Linux desktop software still has a ways to go and there are more
reasons to accept the new bugs that come along with new features and the need to
upgrade more often.  RHEL's decision to update the versions of Firefox and
OpenOffice in a minor release helped, but it still feels very old as a desktop.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com