[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 13:21:54 UTC 2009

> wrote:

<snip>
> CentOS as a desktop system (or laptop) is perfectly fine, *even for
> non-techies*, which would most of the users at the local library.  I
> guess the only issue would be in terms of support for really new
> hardware (which is not an issue at the local library, since the
> hardware not this years model).  One can get the 'missing' multimedia
> goodies from RPMForge or EPel (or even from Adobe's repo [flash and
> acroread]).
<snip>

I also have CentOS at home. There are quirks, though: for example, I tried
to run kaffeine last night, and it couldn't find libkaffeinepart.so. I
tried adding /opt/kde3/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, to LOAD_LIB<whatever>, and
even did an ldconfig, and it *still* can't find it (I run icewm, btw, not
KDE).

   mark, *hoping* they'll fix my phone line, so I'll have DLS tonight