[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 18:43:57 UTC 2009
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

The argument you're expressing, as I see it, is that there is really
no difference whether or not the files are stored in /var or /srv
because in the end they're bits on a disk so where in the file system
they end up doesn't matter. /var was chosen years ago by Unix admins
so why change it to /srv?

My argument is that those same Unix admins no doubt placed it there
because it made functional sense at the time. Over the years that
location became a convention and therefore became an arbitrary
location. The LSB is reviewing that same functional choice in light of
what changes have occurred in how we use servers and they feel that it
makes more functional sense to break those files out into their own
tree.

As far as breaking tradition from Unix, last time I checked porting an
app of reasonable size over from Linux to Unix is not a simple
process. The choice to put client facing files in one directory or
another is a minor part, at best, of that process.

I agree with you on standardizing libraries but I fail to see how that
has any relevance to where an admin should place their client facing
files.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie