[CentOS] Stupid Question (Linux antivirus)

Tue Sep 29 19:17:49 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Ron Blizzard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm sorry but stay as far away from them as you can. AVG 7 was great,
>> I used to recommend it all the time, but version 8 has become really
>> bloated and chews through resources like no-ones business. I installed
>> it on a dual-booted (XP/Debian) Laptop w/ 512M RAM and after upgrading
>> from 7 to 8 my machine in XP began to lag badly.
>>

> That seems to be the pattern with anti-virus software. Starts out good
> and bloats out. I remember when McAfee and Norton (or its IBM variant)
> were good anti-virus applications. Then I went to AVG, used it from
> six on up, and also got tired of its bloat in 8. When I rebuilt my
> wife's XP computer I went with Avast! -- the jury is still out on
> that.

someone suggested Avira Free last time I cleaned my wife's laptop (she
got a koobface virus via facebook with about 8 trojan sidekicks and some
kinda ddnsfilter too)... seems pretty good, and it found some bits of
the koobface I missed when I cleaned it, only annoyance is a once a day
or so popup advertisement suggesting you need to buy the full version.