[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 20:27:14 UTC 2009
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

Alan McKay wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I like stability over "cutting edge," so CentOS (with multimedia from
>> RPMForge)
>>

> What are the details on MM from RPMForge?
>
> If I could get my MM working I'd be happy.   I like stability too,
> which is why I use it on my servers.   But for desktop use, MM is
> pretty much a must-have.  And I've used Fedora for years with no real
> issues.  Switched to CentOS for desktop because it is recommended at
> my new job.  So I switched at home too.

I have been using CentOS 5.x for MM for the last two years (DVB capture
card in a small microATX box)
complete with two 500GB SATA drives and two DVD rear/write drives with
motherboard audio (stereo and sub).
I run mythtv and store capture video local but the myth database is on
my home CentOS (of course) server.
Getting the initial mythTV installed was difficult but since then
despite numerous updates everything just works (TM).
Rob