[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Wed Sep 30 14:13:55 UTC 2009
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

Ron Blizzard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca> wrote:
>

>> CentOS is great for server use and if you want to learn CentOS for use
>> as a server, Fedora is a great place to start because they are both
>> redhat based. Chances are that if you got something to work in Fedora,
>> you can get it to work in CentOS (maybe with a few extra tweaks).
>>

> I don't have any servers. I like CentOS on my desktop and my laptop
> just because it's solid. It's also the Linux distribution of choice
> for most Asterisk platforms -- which I intend to (eventually) learn.
> (I'm a telephone tech, who is eventually going to have to go VOIP.)

You can get asterisk packages from rpmforge on Centos...but on Ubuntu
you do not have to add an extra repository to get asterisk.

When you say go voip, do you mean use sip for the stations only or also
for the trunks?