[CentOS] How to autoconfigure network?

Wed Sep 30 17:21:15 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

happymaster23 wrote:
> No this is not solution. I have tried to run firstboot but without
> result. There should be some script, that is making these files
> (including writing MAC address and full device name). Other thing is
> modprobe.conf - there is name of driver connected to device name
> (eth0, eth1, e.g.), but there is not solution how to change all that
> things when you are swapping ethernet card...

Basically you need to put the ethernet MAC address of the new card in
the HWADDR= line of the appropriate ifcfg-eth? file.  Assuming you are
talking about Centos 5.x, the devices are renamed to match these files
based on the hwaddr entries even if they were detected in a different
order.  But some conditions that I don't understand may trigger all of
these files to be renamed with a .bak extension at bootup and new
default dhcp configs created instead.  This is never fun when your only
access to the machine is through the network.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com