[CentOS] How to autoconfigure network?

Wed Sep 30 17:47:33 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

happymaster23 wrote:
> Thank you,
>
> I am trying to make list of needed changes. So - first line of
> ifcfg-eth* is commented full name of adapter (no sense). Only one
> think that should be changed is HWADDR. This file is in three
> directories (/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth*,
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth* and
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth*). Other thing,
> that should be changed is /etc/modprobe.conf - there should be changed
> name of driver connected to name of interface. So if I am swapping to
> Intel´s 1000 family, there should be e1000e.
>
> Is there anything that what I forgot?

I don't really know how the device detection stuff works (and haven't
found much documentation), but I don't think the /etc/modprobe entries
are actually necessary, at least for pci devices.  You used to be able
to sort-of control detection order there but I don't think that works
any more and it didn't help much when you had multiple devices with the
same driver anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com