[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Wed Sep 30 18:18:03 UTC 2009
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:

> I have a dedicated * CentOS box that shows today as uptime 543 days. I built
> from scratch as I needed to support a four port analog trunk card.
> This does not have internet access as I'm running it like an old fashioned
> PABX -
> just with great sip / linux based snom desk phones and all the attendant
> wiz-bang super stuff that * provides.
>
> I do want to do an update of it all to latest versions etc. but when it just
> keeps working it is hard to justify the down time and potential hic-ups.
> HTH
> Rob

Uptime is a red herring and is generally meaningless.  You'd be better
off performing updates and reboots at least once a month, so you don't
need to worry about any big changes that might come with not updating
for almost 2 years.  If you updated now and something broke, you
wouldn't know what did it.  If you keep up incrementally, you can
catch the small things as they come.  You also don't have a "delicate
flower" that you need to worry if it won't come up after the next
reboot.  That's not a good situation to be in.