[CentOS] Disc Cloning Question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:12:17 UTC 2010

On 4/6/2010 4:30 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> If I were doing it, I'd forget lvm on the new drive and just make the md
>> devices, mkfs them, mount them somewhere temporarily, copy stuff over
>> with 'cp -a', 'tar | tar', 'dump | restor', 'rsync -av', etc.,
>> edit fstab to mount the new md devices for / and /boot, fix grub and
>> swap the drives.  If you have to worry about growing files, do an rsync
>> once live, then go to single user mode and repeat (the second run will
>> fix anything that changed and will go pretty quickly).
>
> I'm sold, it really doesn't need lvm. I presume after editing fstab the
> nonexistent lvm config can be ignored? Never done that...

Not sure about that - I think all that matters is that the things in
fstab can actually be mounted.  There is some trick to installing grub
on a disk that is going to be moved to a new position that I've
forgotten, though.  But you can boot the install disk in rescue mode to
fix that if you get it wrong.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com