[CentOS] DHCP server and Windows XP clients : set hostname ?

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Apr 7 13:13:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

For the last few years, I've been using exclusively Linux on servers and
desktops, so I don't know anything about Microsoft products.

When setting up a 100% GNU/Linux LAN, I use a local DHCP and DNS caching
server, and then all the clients are configured to use DHCP. Hostnames
are all handled by the server. This works very well and never causes any
headaches.

Now a local town hall has asked me to join their two networks (so they
can exchange files via Samba), one using Windows XP on desktops, and the
other running CentOS desktops. I plan to handle hostnames, IP addresses
etc. as usual, by one central DHCP/DNS caching server. Right now I'm
testing this on my "sandbox" network (three machines using Ghost images
from various systems). I can configure a Windows XP desktop to get
network configuration from the DHCP server OK, but 1) where does an XP
desktops' hostname appear? 2) how can I handle it from the DHCP server
(that is, *if* it's possible)?

Cheers,

Niki