[CentOS] vsftpd saving uploads twice

Dirk H. Schulz

dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Thu Apr 8 09:29:53 UTC 2010

I have configured my vsftpd instances to use virtual users and map them
to a system user. So all uploads should be written with owner and group
of this system user (let's call it ftpsystemuser).

But in the the last weeks/months it appears that uploads are written
twice, on instance as it should (owner and group of the system user used
to map the virtual user that did the upload), and the other instance as
root. Lik this:

> -rw-r--r-- 1 root          root          19968 16. Mär 11:24 Termine
> Leistungspr%FCfungen.doc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ftpsystemuser ftpsystemuser 19968 16. Mär 11:24 Termine
> Leistungspr?fungen.doc
As you can see both instance use different syntax for the file name in
case of German umlauts. In vsftpds log only the correct file is mentioned.

Can anybody tell me what is happening here? Is this something I can get
rid off using certain configuration? Is it a security problem?

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk