[CentOS] Consecutive Jobs

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Thu Apr 8 09:51:13 UTC 2010

"Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:

It really
is as simple as I wrote out earlier, multiple servers ssh a background job
at
nearly the same time consisting of an rsync command. The destination host
for
this target gets overwhelmed with more than one at a time...
<<

This isn't a complete answer, but a possible approach: I'd use a named pipe
on the destination host. Here's a little experiment to demonstrate.

[user at dhost temp]$ mkfifo pipe
[user at dhost temp]$ while true ; do ` < pipe` ; done

Now, in another xterm:

[user at dhost temp]$ echo date > pipe
[user at dhost temp]$ echo 'ls -l' > pipe

You can 'echo' commands to the pipe in multiple windows; the while loop
will only read and execute one command at a time off the pipe. You can see
where this is going - now your multiple servers just ssh those echo
commands to the destination host and the corresponding commands are
executed.

I'll leave it to you to make it suitably robust if you go this way; you'll
need to add some error handling, possibly signal handling, etc. but that's
just standard shell scripting.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]