[CentOS] No ulimit for user

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:04:47 UTC 2010

OK, I just found this

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13144

Which says that you cannot use "unlimited" for nofile

It says to do this

*                soft    nofile          63536
*                hard    nofile          63536

or "more realistically" to do this :

*                soft    nofile          8192
*                hard    nofile          63536

But I still cannot find what is the difference between the hard and soft limit

Also, once this file has been changed, does the system need to be
rebooted for it to take affect?

Or does it automatically take affect for any new processes?  So just
restart any service I want to take advantage of it?

thanks,
-Alan