[CentOS] Installing a .ko file?

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 23:07:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Slack-Moehrle
<mailinglists at mailnewsrss.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to add a 3Ware 9500S-8 RAID controller to a CentOS 5.4 box.
>
> I have the drivers from 3Ware and they seem to be a .ko file (which I presume is like a .kext on OSX)
>
> How do I install these? Searched turn up people talking about Kernel panics with .ko's but I dont see anything that points to to installing one so I can use the card.

The driver should have come with an installer script, that copies the
module to the correct directory your runtime kernel is using for
modules.  If the driver download is nothing but a .ko file, do you
know what kernel it was complied for?  try sticking it in
/lib/modules/$YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION/extra and then do a depmod -a to
update the modules list, and lastly a modprobe to load your module.

Gordon