[CentOS] Amazon S3FS Automounter of sorts

Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann ribalba at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:31:07 UTC 2010

Hey

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Matt Keating <Matt_Keating at dennis.co.uk> wrote:
> I’ve just started using Amazon S3 for storage and have used s3fs to mount
> the buckets on the file system.

What type of storage are you using it for. Web-app, Map/Reduce stuff,
File-backup, etc ...

> I was wondering if anyone has a better method – even though this meets my
> current needs.

Why do you want to use s3 like a file system? s3 does not have the
properties of a posix system so you are bound be get some minor errors
and problems.

> if there is an automounter that could be tweaked to work with s3fs. The
> entries in my fstab are rather different to the normal disk based ones,
>
>    s3fs#BUCKETNAME /mnt/s3/BUCKETNAME fuse
> allow_other,default_acl=public-read,noauto 0 0 ,so I wasn’t sure if it is
> possible.

I hope you are aware that everything you put on your s3 is publicly
available if someone knows your bucket name.

I use s3tools to transfer data between s3 and a folder on my machine.

I tried mounting it like you, but just ran into too many problems,
especially if you access files from many machines.

Maybe a little more information on your use-case :)

Cheers Didi

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de