[CentOS] CentOS-3, is this what I need?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 14:16:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Prashant Saxena <animator333 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The solution is to
> use as much as old libc as you can to compile the bootloader. It seems
> CentOS-3 is based on glibc 2.3, which is pretty old and if I compile
> and do other stuff of on CentOS-3, it'll do the job and hopefully covers
> almost all the end user base that I am expecting will use the app. It
> may possible that
> I might face some issues with my requirements
> mentioned below but I have no practical idea about them.

CentOS 3 is ancient and I don't even think is supported by the
upstream vendor any longer. If you absolutely need that old version of
glibc then using CentOS 4.x (updated) will still give you glibc-2.3.4.

> As I
> mentioned before that I am new to linux and I always prefer to use
> VirtualBox, when ever I try any new distribution.
>
> In short these
> are my requirements and I would like to know whether CentOS-3 is the
> right choice for me or not?
>
> 1. Use VirtualBox. XP Host &
> CentOS-3 guest.
> 2. python 2.6.4
> 3. wxPython 2.8.10.1 from
> wxWidgets repository
> 4. libcairo 1.8.8
> 5. pycairo 1.8.6
> 6.
> couple of other python modules.

All these are newer. I'm not certain I understand the requirement for
glibc 2.3?   You mentioned a bootloader but that is usually quite
separate from glibc and other applications.