[CentOS] 12-15 TB RAID storage recommendations

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Apr 13 18:51:11 UTC 2010

Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Joseph L. Casale
> <jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>
>>> I would like to build a 12-15 TB RAID 5 data server to run under
>>> ContOS. Any recommendations as far as hardware, configuration, etc?
>>>
>> This comes up often:)
>> Things to keep in mind when using large discs if you suffer a failure,
>> while rebuilding in a degraded state it's not impossible or unlikely to
>> drop another disc loosing it all.
>>
>> Rebuild times especially on busy arrays with large discs take lots of
>> time...
>>

> Thanks Joseph!
>
> In your opinion, if we are talking about 15 2-TB disks what does "lots
> of time" translate to?

well, IF your controller totally screams and can rebuild the drives at
wire speeds with full overlap, you'll be reading 7 * 2TB of data at
around 100MB/sec average and writing the XOR of that to the 8th drive in
a 8 spindle raid5 (14tb total).   just reading one drive at wirespeed is
2000,000MB / 100MB == 20,000 seconds, or about 5.5 hours, so thats about
the shortest it possibly could be done.

if you have any access activity during this rebuild, you can figure on
nearly doubling that before you even get warm.   if the controller can't
actually move 800MB/sec internally (believe me, that ain't easy), then
you can double or quadruple it a few more times.   This 5.5 hours could
easily stretch to a week.

ANY previously unnoticed bad sector on those other 7 drives renders the
whole pile bad, so doing weekly raid sweeps is probably a good thing,
except THOSE will take some multiple of 5.5 hours when run in the
background.