[CentOS] Disappearing DNS entry

Hugh E Cruickshank

hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Apr 13 22:07:13 UTC 2010

CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4, DHCP 3.0.1

Hi All:

I have a rather perplexing problem where the DNS entry in BIND for
one of my network printers sporadically "disappears" from our zone
file (but not the reverse zone file). We have four Lexmark printers
connected locally over our internal LAN using static IP addresses.
We have 3 T640n printers and a T642n printer and it is only the
T642n printer that this is happening to.

I thought I had it licked when I discovered that both DDNS and mDNS
were enabled on this printer but not the others, however disabling
those has had no effect.

We do use DHCP for the bulk of our Windows workstations and DHCP
is configured to update the DNS server and this appears to work fine
(once I disabled all the "Register this connection's address in DNS"
options on the workstations).

I have found one suspicious entry in /var/log/messages:

Apr 12 17:34:14 fisds0 named[5210]: client 192.168.2.7#10242: updating
                zone 'forsoft.com/IN': deleting an RR

This would seem to indicate that the printer itself has issued the
request to the DNS server but for the life of me I cannot see what
might be doing it.

Has anyone encountered something similar and can point me in the right
direction?

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--