[CentOS] SVN server update

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 14 14:24:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Matt Keating wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> i have SVN server 1.4.x working on production.
>>> i want to go ahead and update to 1.6.x
>
> You shouldn't have any problem upgrading the server side and it will
> be backwards compatible with older clients, but you should be aware
> that when you use an upgraded client it will modify the working copy
> format in place so that you can't go back to an older client without
> doing a fresh checkout.  That can be a problem if you use a mix of
> command line and GUI clients.  Also you don't get all of the new
> merge tracking features unless you use newer clients as well.

My experience is in line with Les' advice: you'll have a harder time
on the client side than on the server. It's an especially difficult
issue if several different machines share a filesystem containing
repository working directories. (Getting CentOS and Debian to
work and play well with SVN trees in an environment with a central
/home mount is *fun*!)