[CentOS] Power consumption monitoring

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Apr 15 11:31:11 UTC 2010

On Thursday 15 April 2010, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have quite a few low-end development/test servers running
> continuously and I would like to better manage their power
> consumption.
> I have found interesting information on how to perform CPU scaling
> (e.g. [1] or [2]).
>
> But I cannot find if there is a way to (software) monitor power
> consumption on CentOS (or other such data like CPU temperature, fan
> speed etc.).

Most machines simply don't have that hardware. Some laptops do and then, with
proper kernel, you can run powertop (or read /proc/acpi/power...).

Some servers have power meters built in but uses tools specific to that
vendor/server (like HP ppic).

> What I read so far is that support is quite limited in this kernel
> (e.g. PowerTop not providing useful information).
>
> Before I start tuning I would like to be able to measure whether my
> changes are having any impact at all.

I'd suggest that you buy an external power meter like kill-a-watt.

/Peter