[CentOS] Building an "instant on" X terminal

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Fri Apr 16 06:42:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
>> If you aren't adverse to Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS (beta right now but final by
>> the end of the month) boots in 10 seconds from a hard drive. I've tried
>> it: It was impressively fast.
> Will it run in 256Mb RAM and on 512Mb of disk?  'Cos that's all this
> machine has :-)
I did a quick and dirty test setup yesterday and was quite impressed.
One of the tests was running a VMWare with 128MB and a tiny empty
disk. The VM booted off the LTSP binaries merrily and was up and
running within seconds. The server was a VM on my file server with
768MB RAM and the client was a VM on my linux laptop so everything did
go through the network cable in the end. I've also tried an ancient
700MHz Pentium 3 laptop with 256MB RAM and that was way faster than
the local Linux installation on the box so I think this setup is going
to stay and will be in use instead of the local OS.