[CentOS] CentOS5 and samba

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net

Fri Apr 16 13:00:49 UTC 2010

 We're trying to migrate RHEL3 and CentOS4 based samba servers over to CentOS5,
 but it's a bleeding disaster. We cannot get it to work reliably with any
 version of CentOS5, i386 or x86_64, the included 3.0.x version of samba or
 3.4.x/3.5.x compiled from source.

 The symptoms are: read access is extremely slow, write access seems to work
 in principle (e.g. creating a zeros-sized file on a share), but writing even
 small files (100k) to the share eventually times out with "out of memory or
 disk space" errors. These shares are home directories NFS-mounted on the
 samba server. Shares of local disks work fine as expected.

 We have played with oplock settings and got some improvements, but not
 reliably, and this seems to effect XP and Seven clients differently.

 Surely we are not the first to run into this sort of issue? Given the range
 of tested software, the problem appears to be specific to CentOS5.

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.