[CentOS] Java RE

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Sun Apr 18 08:19:53 UTC 2010

> Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
> installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
> running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
> "Something is wrong. Java is not working."

This page tell you that the Java browser plugin is not working (it is
used to run small Java applets *in* the browser it self).

The Java browser plugin is not shipped with the CentOS version of open jdk.

Do you need this brower plugin?
Are you running i386 or x86_64 ?
You said that you are running 5.3, any reason why not updating to 5.4?
(if it is a desktop)

> Perhaps I'm confused on which program I need to use java-coded apps. PM
> lists this app as "OpenJDK Runtime Environment" - is this it?
>
> [mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q jdk jre
> package jdk is not installed
> package jre is not installed

What is the output of: