[CentOS] Java RE

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Mon Apr 19 23:31:45 UTC 2010

I've been at this for a couple hours now, and I'm still lost. Making a
looooong story really short - where is java supposed to be installed?
(/usr/local? I don't have a /usr/java.)

*Some* details:
I figured that I just needed the plugin. Well, apparently there isn't
one (not separate, on mozilla's plugin site). It seems that I have to
sym-link to the .so file. However, I can't find it (even used the File
Browser's 'search').

So, being that I have the basic 1.6.0 (no Update), I figured I'd just
install 1.6.0U20. Well, that's no so easy when it's not the usual RPM,
and you don't know where it should go.

I did find a dir with a bunch of java entries:
[root at sr1220 lib]# pwd
/usr/lib
[root at sr1220 lib]# ls java*
java:
java-1.3.1:
java-1.4.0:
java-1.4.1:
java-1.4.2:
java-1.5.0:
java-1.6.0:
java-ext:
But, they're empty.

The java wiki doesn't state a location, and neither
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java nor
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml
were of any help. (Btw, ~/.mozilla/plugins is empty - and I don't see it
installed in /usr.)

Every path I try, I keep hitting a roadblock.