[CentOS] CentOS 5.x and Fedora

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Tue Apr 20 02:25:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:28:36AM -0700, Ian Kaufman (iank at mac.com) wrote:
> > ... and because some package is provided in the MAIN repository
> I don't think you understand how Red Hat (and thus CentOS) package
> things.

I actually do and is one of the reasons why I use it (if you read my
last email carefully, you would have noticed this fact).

> The version of Amanda in RHEL 5.4 and CentOS 5.4 is indeed
> 2.5.0p2-8 (the -8 is important) and is not yet 6 months old, much
> less 5 years old. When Red Hat packages RPMs, they often times
> back port security patches and bugfixes.
> As to why it crashed you server,  I can bet that there are other config
> and software changes you have added "by hand" that may have caused
> a problem. We have a few CentOS 5.4 systems running the standard
> amanda packages without any problems.

It is rather strange (and sad) what people assume and how you argue
a case. You have no idea who I am, what my knowledge is, what I have
learned, my degrees, my setup, my skill set ... nothing. You do not
even know what I backup, what machines, how many and the variety.

You simply assume:

  I can bet that there are other config and software changes
  you have added "by hand" that may have caused a problem.

After I upgraded amanda, it hasn't fallen over at all with the same
software on machine. I actually know the reason why it fell over,
which is why I have chosen amanda-2.6.0p2 and NOT the latest version.
The changes made to (the core of) amanda made my life easier, my
environment more stable and my users happy, which is what I am paid for.

BTW: I have been using Red Hat based software since Hurricane running
with samba fully employed at the place where I work half a year later
and amanda since late 1.9 and early 2.x versions.

Jobst

--
It took the power of 3 Commodore 64's to go to the moon, but it takes a 2GHz Pentium 4 to run XP... Something is desperately wrong here!