[CentOS] Upgrade Problems

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Apr 20 21:03:48 UTC 2010

> I had a RH7.3 system.
> I upgraded via Centos5.3 CDs
> I upgraded this system further via Yum.
>
> Current problems:
> 1: nvidia GF6800 Xtreme video card has no kernel module, so I have
> command-line only.
> 2: Building a kernel module requires downloading (at least parts) of the
> kernel; there is no clear label "yum install
> kernel-module-build-enabler"

You need at least kernel-headers; not sure if you also need kernel-devel.
And yeah, it is kernel specific.
<snip>
> What's the system builder to do?

Once you've got those two packages installed, any time you upgrade, you
should get them. Then just rebuild the module.

d/l from NVIDIA their linux driver package. I've got an older video card
(1100, I think), so I *have* to use
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.20-pkg2.run, since no newer package supports
it. A newer one, that might support it, is
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.13-pkg1.run. There *is* an rpm in the repository,
but I don't know if it supports your card.

For the Nvidia packages, once they're d/l, sh <package>, and it'll walk
you through rather cleanly. Tell it yes for everything, pretty much.

         mark