[CentOS] Help with NFSV4 server

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Tue Apr 27 03:40:47 UTC 2010

On 21/04/10 23:47, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> Hi Clint
>
> I've got NFS4 running on F11 and your configuration looks fine to me.
>

>> {The Client}
>>
>> [root at silver ~]# cat /etc/idmapd.conf
>> [General]
>> [Mapping]
>>
>> Nobody-User = nfsnobody
>> Nobody-Group = nfsnobody
>>
> You may want to check that nfsnobody is defined on your system and
> rpc.idmapd is actually running.  Also the output from rpcinfo might help.
>

>> > From /etc/fstab
>> inf1:/ /test nfs4
>> auto,rw,nodev,sync,_netdev,proto=tcp,retry=10,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr
>> 0 0
>>
> I'd probably want to keep things simple while you are testing. Perhaps
> cut this back to:
>
> inf1:/ /test rw,noatime,sync,hard,intr  0 0
>
> Running tcpdump at both ends while you try to do a directory listing may
> provide some insight (which process is waiting for a response from whom)
>
> Err grasping at straws ... you may also want to check for any old stuff
> you may have in /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Kal

Hi People,

Thanks for all the responses related to this.

To keep things simple I started from scratch.  Just working on the
server and testing my mounting using the server itself and this is what
I have found

/etc/fstab

*** other unrelevant entries *****

/home            /nfs4exports/home        none     bind,rw    0 0
/tmp             /nfs4exports/tmp         none     bind,rw    0 0
inf1:/           /media/nfs4              nfs4     auto,rw 0 0
inf1:/nfs4exports/home /media/nfs         nfs      auto,rw 0 0

When I mount /media/nfs everything works as I would expect and I am
seeing the files I expect

When I mount /media/nfs4 the mount completes and I can see files but
they are not the ones I expect

ls -lsa /media/nfs4/home/
total 20
8 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 27 13:36 .
8 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Apr 27 13:22 ..
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 Apr 27 13:36 home-test

  ls -lsa /media/nfs/
total 24
8 drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root   4096 Apr 21 14:21 .
8 drwxr-xr-x 4 root   root   4096 Apr 27 12:40 ..
8 drwx------ 2 clintd clintd 4096 Apr 27 15:23 clintd

  The home-test file is a test file I created inside /nfs4exports/home
so it appears that NFS v3 sees and uses a bind mounted area as you would
expect whereas NFS v4 is ignoring the bind and using the filesystem
underneath which is very strange as all the reading I have done suggests
that you now must now have bind configured for NFS v4 to work correctly.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.