[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Tue Apr 27 17:34:26 UTC 2010

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
>
>> VMware appears to be intentionally slow-motion killing their VMware
>> Server product in favor of ESX/ESXi. They declined to publish needed
>> security updates for Server in the latest round and if you check the
>> lifecycle support web page they say "VMware Server was declared End Of
>> Availability on January 2010. Support will be limited to Technical
>> Guidance for the duration of the support term." They also are not
>> offering support contracts for it as far as I can see.
>>
>> I wouldn't count on any meaningful updates for it.
>>

> According to the VMware support page
> (http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/), for
> VMware Server 2.0 the end of General Support is 2011/06/30.
>
> I agree that they are exceedingly slow on updates, but it'll still be
> around for a while. I'm sure a new version will then come out, as they
> still have to compete with other free offerings, and it's a nice
> entry-level solution where people will eventually upgrade to a paid
> version.
There is conflicting information on that page. In one place it says that
General Support will continue to 2011/06/30, in another it states that
"VMware Server was declared End Of Availability on January 2010. Support
will be limited to Technical Guidance for the duration of the support term."

As I remember also seeing a statement to the effect that it was being
switched to 'Technical Guidance' only support in the forums there, I
would say that *although* it is still technically in "General Support"
they are not going to provide anything more than technical guidance for
it. The lack of security fixes for it in the latest round of updates as
well as the fact that it has severe problems such as the 'creeping load'
that have been present and reported *since the 2.0 beta release*  and
the glibc incompatibility which has been known since the 2.0.1 release
indicates they are absolutely not interested in supporting it.

"It's an ex-parrot."

As for competing with other free offerings: That is what ESXi is for now.

--
Benjamin Franz