[CentOS] mapping drives

Jeff Sadino

jsadino.queens at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 21:19:42 UTC 2010

I am having trouble mounting drives.  We have a Windows 2008 (10.1.1.17,
MRISRV02) server with folders I what access to.  On my Fedora 8 client, in
my fstab file, I have:
//10.1.1.17/USERS/Jeff    /home/mriuser/Desktop/jeff      cifs
rw,username=cluster,password=mrilab 0 0
and this works just fine.  My samba is up to date:
[mriuser at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep "samba"
samba-common-3.0.33-0.fc8
samba-3.0.33-0.fc8
system-config-samba-1.2.58-1.fc8
samba-client-3.0.33-0.fc8

However, we also have a CentOS 4 64bit "pseudo-server" machine.  When I try
to map the folders on this CentOS machine using an fstab entry like this:
//10.1.1.17/USERS/Jeff      /mnt/Jeff      cifs
rw,username=cluster,password=mrilab 0 0
It maps the USERS folder to /mnt/Jeff.  I can cd into Users and then cd into
Jeff, but I want to be able to go straight into Jeff and not have access to
the rest of the user folders.  I just upgraded my samba from 3.0.25 to
3.0.33 and have not restarted.
[root at cluster mnt]# rpm -qa | grep "samba"
samba-client-3.0.33-0.18.el4_8.1
samba-common-3.0.33-0.18.el4_8.1
samba-common-3.0.33-0.18.el4_8.1

Can anyone please help me out?  Thank you!!
Jeff