[CentOS] No ulimit for user

Thu Apr 8 18:54:49 UTC 2010
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Stephen Nelson-Smith <stephen at atalanta-systems.com>
>> I'm trying to remove any limit on open files for a user; I've set
>> username nofiles to unlimited in /etc/security/logins.conf, but now I
>> get "could not open session" if I try to su to the user.
>> singhh          -       nofile          unlimited
>
> Don't you mean /etc/security/limits.conf ?

OK, I went searching the list archives on this one and found this, and tried it.

And now I can no longer log into the Centos 5.4 box.  Even on the console.

Not a big deal since this is a VM running in my sandbox so I can blow
it away no problem.

But how do I increase my ulimit to unlimited?

I put in that file

*    -    nofile unlimited

and then rebooted the box

And can no longer log in