[CentOS] USB keys

Fri Apr 23 19:49:07 UTC 2010

Well, we wanted to put an install on a USB key. Neither I nor the other
admin was amused by the singing and dancing that the wiki offers - and
just *why* is it that syslinux is broken?

At any rate, I did some googling, and found
<http://www.pendrivelinux.com/>, and I ran this installer.

Ok, it has some bugs: a) I had several .isos, and it *insisted* on
grabbing the first one, alphabetically, no matter that I put in the full
name. It also takes for-bloody-ever - 4.5 *hours* for the 4G DVD.

However, it finished, I stuck it into a laptop, told it to boot from the
USB, and there was the begin install screen.

*shrug*

Looks good to me. I just do not understand why it's such a song and dance,
rather than, say,
syslinux /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/mnt
mount -o loop CentOS....iso /mnt