[CentOS] (OT) OpenOffice.org calc chart strangeness.

Mon Apr 5 05:45:17 UTC 2010
Lee Perez <leecajun at windstream.net>

Bill Campbell wrote:
> I am attempting to create a simple line chart graphing three columns from a
> soffice-calc spreadsheet.  I expect it to take the leftmost column as the
> X-Axis, plotting the others on the Y-Axis, but it always creates an X-Axis
> of the row number in the columns, and the first column amongst the data.
>
> I have tried this on OpenOffice.org 3.2.0, NeoOffice(R) 3.0.2 Patch 2,
> iWork Pages, and Excel 12.2.4 in Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac.
>
> It does what I expect in iWork Pages and M$-Excel, but not in the
> various incantations of OpenOffice.org.
>
> I OO-calc has gone to a fancy wizard thingy that doesn't seem to have any
> way to specify details for the X-Axis, and I can't find anything useful in
> the on-line documentation.
>
> Does anybody know how one gets this to work in OpenOffice.org?
>
> The Linux tie-in is that I'm getting data from a postgresql database that
> lives on a Linux box, and none of the fancy commercial products seem to be
> able to use it in their data sources.
>
> On the other hand, I have written a python script that extracts the data
> from the postgresql database and creates the pretty reports using groff and
> gplot totally on Linux which is faster in any case for my current problem.
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

Don't know if this will help, hope it does.  One thing that comes to
mind is this sounds like a data series issues.  It sounds like
everything is included within the data series range.  The only thing
that should be in this, which would be the Y axis, is the 2nd and 3rd
columns of data.  I hope this helps in some way.

Lee