[CentOS] Question about dhcpd.leases

Thu Apr 8 15:06:11 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> How comes these machines never appear in dhcpd.leases ? Do the
> respective leases only find their way into /var/log/messages ?

I'd expect because the addresses are hard coded, there is no
reason to keep track of them. the leases file from what I understand
is used to determine which IPs are in use by what so dhcpd can
opt to hand out IPs that are not in use. On top of that dhcpd
pings the unused IPs to make sure it doesn't hand out IPs that
may of been taken without authorization.

For hard coded addresses the dhcp response will be the same every
time, and if you have duplicate MAC addresses on your layer 2
network you have bigger things to worry about.

nate