[CentOS] Slightly OT: which hardware for CentOS file server (Samba, 2 To storage, 50 users)?

Mon Apr 12 18:40:52 UTC 2010
Gé Weijers <ge at weijers.org>

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Rob Kampen wrote:

> Gé Weijers wrote:
> I'd support the above hardware as a minimum - it appears most will be
reading, thus software RAID1
> will work just fine - If there are many different files, I'd go for more smaller disks - say 8 by
> 500G in RAID1, thus the ability to spread the files over more spindles as this may become the
> bottleneck if all the files are on a single 2T drive.

Using 8 drives is going to significantly increase the cost, because you'd
need 8 SATA interfaces and 8 drive bays. Otherwise I agree. A RAID-10
setup (striped mirrors) will probably give the best performance.

Gé