[CentOS] mysterious weekly shutdown

Mon Apr 12 19:28:49 UTC 2010

> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 14:46 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> Does the machine that that account is logged on from fire up a
>> screen-locking screen saver after some reasonable amount of inactivity
>> (like 20 min or so?)
>
> No, it just sits there doing nothing forever until someone sits down in
> front of it.

That shouldn't be left that way. Those who use it should have their own
accounts.

Hell, I know I'm paranoid, but a sysadmin, as a friend (also a sysadmin)
likes to say, he's being paid to be professionally paranoid. I log off my
own system, at home, every night, and every morning before I head off to
work.

>> So something is happening on this machine.
>
> Apparently.  I have just been looking at the log from the previous
> weekend when it shut down before.
>
> Here is what /var/log/messages has to say from April 2.  Once again the
> pscd line is right at the top of the log immediately after the shutdown
> signal.  I don't know if that's suggestive, or just a coincidence.

I think the latter, unless you've got SmartCards that you use for
security. (Yes, some here have them; they haven't given me one yet, but
it's coming - oh, yes, I'm a contractor with the US federal gov't.)

> Apr  2 09:12:43 answeringmachine vgetty[22949]: message keep,
> length=00:01:02, name='', caller=none, dev=ttyACM0, pid=22949
> Apr  2 09:23:20 answeringmachine vgetty[22963]: message keep,
> length=00:00:25, name='', caller=none, dev=ttyACM0, pid=22963
> Apr  2 09:43:56 answeringmachine gdm[2880]: Master halting...
> Apr  2 09:43:56 answeringmachine shutdown[2880]: shutting down for
> system halt

Something's happening at 09:43:56. Don't suppose there's any other logs
with that timestamp?
<snip>
        mark