[CentOS] 12-15 TB RAID storage recommendations

Tue Apr 13 17:14:57 UTC 2010
Ryan Manikowski <ryan at devision.us>

On 4/13/2010 1:05 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> I would like to build a 12-15 TB RAID 5 data server to run under
> ContOS. Any recommendations as far as hardware, configuration, etc?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

Chassis - CSE-836A-R1200B Supermicro SC836 A-R1200B - Rack-mountable -
3U - SATA/SAS - hot-swap - power supply 1200 Watt

RAID Card - 3ware 9650SE-16ML-SGL 9650SE-16ML-SGL RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50
16CH SATA II PCIE 256MB ECC DDR2 - PCI Express x8 - Up to 300MBps - 4 x
SATA x4 Serial ATA/300 - Serial ATA

BBU Module for RAID card - 3ware BBU-MODULE-03

Pick the cpu(s) and motherboard to fit the chassis. Obviously go with
ECC ram and ONLY enterprise grade hard drives. To ensure compatibility
check with 3ware to see which drives they recommend. Areca RAID cards
will get you a little better performance but the module for the 9650SE
series of 3ware cards is included with the Centos kernel. Getting the
Areca driver going is a bit more work, but nothing that would be
considered a huge hurdle for a competent sysadmin. Also, if you're
looking for advice on Areca products call their Tekram contact in the
USA. Their other distributors have been less than stellar on answering
pre-sales questions.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[