[CentOS] Disappearing DNS entry

Tue Apr 13 22:29:23 UTC 2010
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: Hugh E Cruickshank Sent: April 13, 2010 15:07

> I have found one suspicious entry in /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr 12 17:34:14 fisds0 named[5210]: client 192.168.2.7#10242: updating
>                 zone 'forsoft.com/IN': deleting an RR
>
> This would seem to indicate that the printer itself has issued the
> request to the DNS server but for the life of me I cannot see what
> might be doing it.

One additional piece of information... It appears that I had not set
the DNS server and NTP server correctly on all four printers and they
were running with a very old date (would you believe 1970?). I have
since ensured that all four printers now have the correct DNS server
IP address, the host name of our local NTP server, the correct time
zone and that they all now have the correct current date and time via
NTP.

I am not sure if this would have had anything to do with the DNS issue
but it was something that was obviously wrong and needed to be fixed.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com