[CentOS] Disappearing DNS entry

Wed Apr 14 02:26:46 UTC 2010
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: Jim Perrin Sent: April 13, 2010 17:01

> This means a couple things. First, your zone is configured to allow
> dynamic DNS updates, which can be okay, but usually you don't want
> this for a zone containing fixed records.

That was intentional on my part. We have a small network and I did not
see any compelling reason not to do it that way. I will look at
separating these out in the future.

> Second, it means that client updates is allowed. This can be bad, and
> generally when I set up dynamic DNS zones, I only allow updates from
> the dhcp server (usually the same box, so it's restricted to localhost
> doing the updating).

Again intentional but no longer required. In reviewing the config files
file from the entire subnet while only "key rndckey" for the reverse
zone files. That would explain why only the zone file was affected and
not the reverse files. I have fixed that now and I think that should
resolve my problem.

> Essentially your printer is trying to update its record and removing
> the old one, but not publishing the right one, either through
> permissions or some other reason.

Sounds valid.

> How do you have your zones and/or dhcp server configured? Can you
> sanitize them enough to post them?

I will hold off for now as I believe the change that I have made to
named.conf will now avoid the problem. I still do not know why only
the one printer was affected but the change should avoid the problem.
Some day when I have some free time (yeah right!) I am try to figure
what the actual cause is.

Thanks very much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com