[CentOS] CentOS 5.x and Fedora

Fri Apr 16 02:24:12 UTC 2010
Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>

That is NOT a CentOS thing, **ONLY**.
It is valid for ANY distribution, indeed!

Most computers would be stable including windows machines if
people would stop installing crap, e.g.  why did Mircosoft "invent"
the feature of restoring system32 (from dllcache) or any of their
other "features" to make it more stable?

... and because some (rpm) package is provided in some repository
packaged by "someone else" does not necessary mean that it is stable
or stable for a certain setup (hw, combintation of packages etc) or
doesn't overwrite "stuff".

... and because some package is provided in the MAIN repository
does not mean its stable, either. I run amanda and have been doing
since 1998, the version that is in the main repository (2.5.0p2)
is 5 years old and crashed my 5.4 server (and another server I
look after part time voluntarily). I currently run a self compiled
2.6.1 and never looked back (this includes all of amanda's clients).

I like CentOS, and it has a lot of advantages. I came from Fedora
BUT the MAIN reason why I moved is not stability BUT security as
I have had uptimes of 300+ days on lots of FC machines, including a
FC6 box I just replaced. But getting a security update for CentOS
(e.g. for bind) is easier than for a 2 year old FCX distro
because its not supported anymore.

jobst