[CentOS] CentOS5 and samba

Mon Apr 19 11:36:04 UTC 2010
lhecking at users.sourceforge.net <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net>

Daniel Bird writes:
[...]
> However, at the risk of being a pedant, that doesn't give us a
> explanation as to why the same setup on  CentOS & RHEL resulted in the
> behavior we experienced. NFS mounts are surely not that uncommon on
> samba servers and one would expect the locking mechanisms to cope with
> that scenario. It surely does on our old Solaris box. We will be
> investiaging this further since our migration is going to take a couple
> of months and like JD pointed out in a previous post the no locking
> option shouldn't be needed.

 I found these
  http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-1984
  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-May/148403.html
 and we're in the situation described (NetApp filer with no CIFS license).

 Investigating one of our sites with a working CentOS5 samba server shows
 that they indeed have "posix locking = no" in smb.conf.

 The bit that is still unclear to me, however, is that RH apply this to all
 of RHEL3,4,5, whereas we don't see this problem under RHEL3.

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.