[CentOS] Java RE

Tue Apr 20 04:11:56 UTC 2010
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> I've been at this for a couple hours now, and I'm still lost. Making a
> looooong story really short - where is java supposed to be installed?
> (/usr/local? I don't have a /usr/java.)

speaking purely in generic terms, Sun Java is isually installed to
/usr/java/jre_version/.....   or /usr/jdk/jdk_version/..  and then
generally /urs/bin/java links (or gnu alternates or whatever) to the
'current' system wide default.    but, Java -can- be installed
absolutely anywhere you want to put it.   obviously RPM packages enforce
their own ideas of where things go.