[CentOS] Can no longer print

Fri Apr 23 16:19:00 UTC 2010
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

My server has CentOS 5.4.  I had hplip-2.7.12 installed and running, as
earlier versions didn't work with my printers, and was able to print to a
networked printer.  As far as I'm aware, that's the version that was still
running last time I printed.  Recently I decided to add a local USB printer,
and at that point discovered that I can no longer print.  I've no idea how
long this has been so.  Rightly or wrongly, I decided that something must have
seriously upset hplip, so I removed it and re-installed it.  Unfortunately it
hasn't cured anything.

I have the correct ppd files for both printers, and CUPS lists them.  If I
step through the CUPS Modify Printer pages everything looks correct, but when
I try to send a test page I see "usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed".

Running 'hp-check -t' tells me that libcrypto is a required dependency and I
don't have it.  'rpm --redhatprovides libcrypto' says that no package provides
it, and no package of that name is listed.  Where can I get it?

Similarly, ppdev and ReportLab are essential but missing.

I have printed from this server in the past, but I can't get it sorted this
time.  I can't even find any uninstall file for hplip, and it doesn't appear
in the rpm database.  Is there any way I can get this working again?

Thanks

Anne