[CentOS] iptables

Fri Apr 23 22:30:37 UTC 2010
Ron Loftin <reloftin at twcny.rr.com>

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 18:16 -0400, Alan McKay wrote:
> Have a look at shorewall (google it) for the best thing I've ever seen
> for managing a Linux firewall

I agree about Shorewall.  I've been using it for several years, and it
does take a lot of the pain out of managing iptables.

That being said, I will add my voice to the others on this list that
point out that the OP's mods to /etc/sysconfig/iptables are very
dangerous, and indicate a lack of understanding of how iptables and
network security actually operate.  Some study of basic principles and
best practices is essential to managing a firewall configuration,
regardless of the tool that is used.

My $0.02 (US) worth for today.

Ron Loftin                      reloftin at twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?"       Piter from UserFriendly