[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Tue Apr 27 12:38:25 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

rainer at ultra-secure.de wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Dan Irwin <dan at jackies.com.au> wrote:
>
>> so many replies ...
>> so my best option is to install  VMware-server-1 ???
>

>  - Doesn't work on RHEL5 (only RHEL4u3 or u4?)
>  - supported guest-OSs: similarly ancient

I have some VMware-server 1.x versions running under Centos5.4 - and have Centos
5.4 running as a guest.  I haven't had much trouble with it other than
vmware-config.pl having to recompile the kernel module after every update.

> If it's a server, I'd go for ESX4i right away (if the hardware is
> supported - but if you have a decent NIC, it should not be a problem)

Have to agree with that - ESXi is better, but then you have to run everything on
the guests.  Where I'm running Server the host also runs some apps.

> For a workstation, go Virtual-Box, if you don't have much legacy stuff
> sitting around.

VMware Player might also be a reasonable choice if you are running things
locally and always want the console attached to the session.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com