[CentOS] Release 6?

Thu Apr 1 15:25:29 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/1/2010 10:14 AM, R-Elists wrote:

>> They won't change the cycle for existing releases (they would
>> get into contract liability if they did).
>>
>> RHEL2 is already out of support (it was end-of-lifed on May 31, 2009).
>>
>> RHEL3 will go out of support Oct 31, 2010.
>>
>> RHEL4 will go out of support Feb 29, 2012
>>
>> RHEL5 will go out of support Mar 31, 2014
>>
>> *If* they change it in the future, it would only apply to the
>> next major releases (IOW RHEL6+)
>>
>> --
>> Benjamin Franz
>

> wow...
>
> think about it...
>
> remember when *we all* were chomping at the bit for Centos3...
>
> yeah, like horses... that's right... chomping at the bit...   ;-)
>
> at least i seem to recall it was version 3, and then Centos4 came out and we
> all needed a migration path from 3 to 4...
>
> and thankfully, there was an easy way... again, if i remember correctly...
>
> seems like yesterday cause we still use version 4 and, of course, some ver 5
> too....

I thought 4 was too buggy compared to 3 and held off upgrading most
machines until 5 was out.  In retrospect that still seems like it was a
good move even if most of the problems in 4 were eventually fixed in
updates.  But with many years elapsing between releases, skipping a
version like that may not be possible again.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com