[CentOS] Release 6?

Fri Apr 2 00:14:43 UTC 2010
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> You might be surprised how many outages it takes to co-ordinate
> such an upgrade in a medium-large environment(and nobody including
> me likes to take *everything* down at once though we did have
> such an outage a few weeks ago to move a storage array I upgraded
> about 30 systems on that day). The fully redundant systems are
> easy to upgrade of course but there are lots of systems that are
> not fully redundant(and can't be made as such due to application
> design).
>
> I tried doing some online upgrades for some of our more important
> systems(minus reboot for kernel) but something in the update
> wrecked havok on our NFS cluster the systems are very active doing
> NFS stuff 24/7. The NFS cluster recovered automatically but each
> time it took about 3 hours. I don't know what the upgrade might
> of restarted that would of impacted NFS activity. Since the
> upgrade there has been no repeats of the issue but during the
> upgrade within 30 minutes of upgrading active NFS clients(while
> they were doing stuff) caused immediate headaches on the cluster.
>
> I suspect it's the first OS "upgrade" my company has done at
> least on linux.  Looking through my inventory of systems these
> are getting a bit stale RHEL3/4:
>
>      1 AS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)
>      5 AS release 4 (Nahant Update 1)
>      6 AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
>     36 AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
>      1 AS release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
>
> I don't count RHEL4->CentOS v5 as an upgrade since it is a complete
> re-install. For the most part those will get upgraded when
> the systems are retired I think.

I was kind of pulling your leg a little there, but I don't even like
to reboot my standalone desktop - five minutes of downtime is trivial
but I just don't like to do it.  30 systems?  Yoik!

As for moving from 4 to 5, that's not a trivial thing at all - and
it's not an "upgrade" per se unless you have LOTS of faith in the
process.  I always reinstall across releases, and that's a royal pain
(though usually worth it for the new features, like a newer GNOME and
all that goes with it).

BTW, certain specific upgrades would be really nice.  For one thing,
Google's Chrome browser is now available for Linux, but you have to
have a newer version of (I think it was) gtk that's not available on
RH/C 5 at all - yet.

Ah, well, patience in this particular arena pays off - we get the best
support and solid reliability for free, so a little wait, or even a
long one, is worth it in my book.

CIao.

mhr