[CentOS] Disc Cloning Question

Tue Apr 6 20:02:11 UTC 2010
Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com>

>Even if there is a way to do a live migration, it's probably faster and
>safer to just build a new raid with or without lvm and copy the stuff
>over.  You'll just have to reinstall grub on the new disks to make them
>boot.

It needn't be live, I just haven't seen an app like clonezilla that can
go big to small with lvm and md devices...

On that note, the data is all static so it's very safe:

1. I wonder if I actually could place the two new discs in
2. create two new md devices, md2/3
3. pvmove VolGroup00 into it md3, then pvremove md1's pv's, ignore the
   md1->3 difference here, lvm should find the unchanged vg/lv.
4. copy md0's /boot into md2
5. edit fstab for the new /boot on md2 instead of md0
6. install grub
7. have local guy pull out two old drives and send back.

I don't have a concern about data, it has a long kickstart which actually
sets everything up, it's just downtime I want to avoid.

Should work:)