[CentOS] SVN server update

Wed Apr 14 12:38:05 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Matt Keating wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> i have SVN server 1.4.x working on production.
>> i want to go ahead and update to 1.6.x
>>
>> i'm hoping your experience would help me prevent possible downtime..
>> is there any issues that may arise from updating the SVN server from one
>> version to another on a production server?
>
> I upgraded ours ok with no issues ­ But I¹d like to see what anyone else

Rpmforge has 1.6.x packages that work well, but be careful what else you update
from there to avoid conflicts.  If you use viewvc, it has to come from the same
repository and epel may have a higher version number.

You shouldn't have any problem upgrading the server side and it will be
backwards compatible with older clients, but you should be aware that when you
use an upgraded client it will modify the working copy format in place so that
you can't go back to an older client without doing a fresh checkout.  That can
be a problem if you use a mix of command line and GUI clients.  Also you don't
get all of the new merge tracking features unless you use newer clients as well.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com