[CentOS] Building an "instant on" X terminal

Wed Apr 14 20:40:19 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/14/2010 3:26 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:04:26PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 4/14/2010 2:38 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
>>> I look at the LTSP code base, but this looks like it wants to run as it's
>>> own OS; I already have a C5 server in my house, I don't want to build
>>
>> LTSP doesn't install another OS on the server - it PXE-boots one to
>> client devices with just enough to run X as a thin client.  That would
>> probably work for you - or whatever local install you can do that
>> doesn't start X and once it is up, do 'X -query server'.
>
> My reading of the ltsp pages is that they prefer to distribute it as
> an OS image, with the ltsp components already integrated and that it's
> "hard work" to do the integration yourself.
>    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=Ltsp5Status
>    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=IntegratingLtsp
>
> Has this changed?

Sort-of... In recent Fedora versions ltsp5 is a packaged rpm.  For a
Centos base the easiest approach might be to re-install the k12ltsp EL5
distribution which is basically a stock Centos plus ltsp4, plus some
other education-related stuff.  A few years ago I would have recommended
it highly, but it seems on it's way out now.  You might be able to pick
out the rpms and setup scripts that you'd need to back into an existing
distribution but it's probably not worth the trouble for one terminal.
More info here:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

--
   Les Mikesell